Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The Land by Mildred D. Taylor

I discovered author Mildred Taylor over twenty years ago and have read most of her novels, some more than once. I was teaching 5th grade when I became a fan and still consider her my favorite author. It had probably been 10+ years since I read The Land so when I picked it up this week it was almost like reading it for the first time. And I LOVED it, perhaps not quite as much as Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, my #1 in the Logan family saga.

The Land is a prequel to the Newberry Award-winning Roll of Thunder... and in the midst of a touching story of family and friendship and intense racial tensions, describes the beginning of the Logan family and explains their obsession with holding onto "the land."

After reading both Song of the Trees and Roll of Thunder... several times, including oral readings to my students, and Let the Circle Be Unbroken and Road to Memphis on my own, I feel I absolutely know and love the Logan family. I have a special affection for Cassie who narrates most of the tales and is a smart and spunky girl.  Ms. Taylor has said many times that her stories come from her own family remembrances and some characters are based on family members and Mississippi neighbors of the past.

Aside from her thorough character development, the two aspects of Ms. Taylor's writing that impress me are her descriptive powers and her integrity in portraying the setting.  She can paint a scene so vividly, you feel as though you are there.  Her stories elicit strong emotions as well---stomach-churning intensity, fist-pumping triumph, tears of both sadness and joy.

I also admire Ms. Taylor's determination to use the language of the times, in spite of controversy, especially over the use of the "n" word.  She is committed to show the ugliness of the pre-Civil Rights South, rather than trying to "clean up" history.  She is in good company here since Mark Twain, Zora Neale Hurston and others have experienced the same criticism.

If you have not read any of Mildred Taylor's novels before, please do!  I recommend you begin with Roll of Thunder... and if you finish it not wanting to read another, I will be amazed.  After ...Thunder... you could most likely read any of the others and find familiar characters.  Don't be fooled by the shorter illustrated novels.  They may look like they are for children but they have powerful plots and memorable themes.

I have hesitated to choose any of these books for our book club to read.  I guess I am worried that if someone didn't like it, I would take it personally.  It would be like someone criticizing a close friend!

I'd rate The Land a 5!  And this morning I went to Amazon online and ordered a copy of each book I've mentioned here and more. I have long wanted to own a hardcover collection. When they arrive I will start rereading them all, one by one. Maybe you will go to the library or bookstore and start one, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment