Friday, February 15, 2013

Deeper Than the Dead by Tami Hoag

"A first-rate thriller with an ending that will knock your socks off."
                                             -Booklist

This novel was a real page turner, in fact I could barely put it down. I've read several mysteries by Tami Hoag but not in a few years. I will definitely look for more.

The story begins with 4 kids literally stumbling over a dead body in a park. They are fifth grade students of main character, Anne Navarre, who immediately becomes involved with trying to help her students through the trauma and eventually getting involved in the murder case. I was grabbed immediately by the characters since I taught fifth grade for over 20 years and my name is Anne! Being a big fan of crime shows I was further intriqued by the search for the serial killer. The plot reminded me so much of "Criminal Minds" and with the character Vince Leone, of the FBI's Behavioral Science Unit as a profiler, even more so. The story is set in 1985 before the supertechnology that aids in crime solving today. Agent Leone is a somewhat new breed since profiling was in its earliest days. The author tells us this was at a time when the BSU had offices at the FBI Academy in Quantico, VA, that were 60 feet belowground---that is 10 times "deeper than the dead."

Add a little romance into all the suspense and you get a really great read! I'd give it a 5.  Enjoy the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment