Sunday, March 17, 2013

A Week in Winter by Maeve Binchy

"Stoneybridge was a paradise for children during the summer, but summer in the west of Ireland was short, and most of the time it was wet and wild and lonely on the Atlantic coast. Still, there were caves to explore, cliffs to climb, birds' nests to discover, and wild sheep with great curly horns to investigate. And then there was Stone House."
                                                             -from the novel, page 3

It is ironic that I finished this novel by an Irish author and set in Ireland on St. Patrick's Day! I enjoyed it very much. I think I have only read one other of Binchy's books but I will look for more. Unfortunately, Maeve Binchy died soon after completing this novel.

The story is told by proceeding from one character to another, starting with Geraldine Ryan Starr, or Chicky as she is called. After some wandering and soul-searching, Chicky returns to her home in Stoneybridge and turns the much-loved Stone House into a bed and breakfast inn. One by one the reader is introduced to a great variety of characters, first some family members who end up working at the inn, and later the guests who would spend the grand-opening week at Stone House. Each character or pair of characters has their own story so there are a number of sub-plots going on.

It was fascinating to me how these 10 guests, if I counted correctly, all end up spending this "week in winter" together. As each individual or couple is brought into the story, the main plot moves forward a bit more. I found this technique effective and it made the novel a "page turner" for me. I would rate it a 4 and if asked to describe it in one word, I'd say "sweet."

No comments:

Post a Comment