Friday, June 14, 2013

Perfect Match by Jodi Picoult

"I have been moving in slow motion, waiting for an inevitable ax to fall, listening to testimony as if these witnesses are discussing the destiny of a stranger. But now, I feel myself waking. The future may unfold in indelible strokes, but it doesn't mean we have to read the same line over and over. That's exactly the fate I didn't want for Nathaniel...so why should I want it for me?"
               -from the novel, page 298

A friend read this novel and recommended it to me. I have read a few of Jodi Picoult's books and they were definitely "page turners." This one did not disappoint!

Picoult's books often have disturbing themes. Perfect Match is no exception. In fact much of the story about the sexual abuse of a child is difficult to read. ADA Nina Frost finds out what a mother is capable of when her child is hurt. It might give any of us who are parents or grandparents cause to think what WE might do in the face of such trauma to a loved one. At a crucial point near the end of the book, Nina admits to an act which was completely out of character for her, ending with "...I knew exactly what I was doing. And at the same time, I was crazy. Love will do that to you."

I would rate the book a 4. Picoult is a talented writer and I was completely drawn into the plot but I cannot say I really enjoyed it due to the darkness of the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment