Friday, July 5, 2013

Miss Julia to the Rescue by Ann B. Ross

"Sunday morning I was with Lloyd in our usual pew at the First Presbyterian Church and thankful to be there. You can have your snakes and your tambourines, your hooks and screws and electric needles. Speedos, too. Give me the King James Version, a hymnal and Communion every quarter. Even with Pastor Ledbetter's sermons, I wouldn't trade a good traditional worship service for all the tea in China."
                   -Miss Julia, from the novel, page 298

The quote I chose won't make much sense to you until you read the novel but after you do, you'll find it amusing! I absolutely LOVE the whole Miss Julia series! There are at least a dozen titles;  I have read them all and they are all perfectly delightful. Miss Julia is a lovely lady of the South, North Carolina to be exact, and one of about my same age. Though quite prim and proper, she gets into all kinds of shenanigans usually following her heart or trying to right some wrongs. In Miss Julia to the Rescue, a loved one goes missing and she sets out to find him. In the midst of that rescue and afterward, she tries to save a young man, a mere acquaintance, from the clutches of a "minister" of a very strange cult.

I particularly enjoy reading a Miss Julia novel after finishing a more challenging book. I had just finished reading Victory at Yorktown, a pretty heavy historical fiction, when I found this one on the library shelf and realized Ms. Ross had published one I had not read. Perfect timing! I inhaled it in a couple of days.

If you have not yet discovered this series, I recommend you begin with the first one titled Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind. It sets up the characters and setting. I have not necessarily read the books in order and I enjoyed them anyway.

I just visited www.missjulia.com. There is a video of the author, Ann B. Ross that I found entertaining and enlightening. I am surprised it took me this long to check it out. On the website I learned there is an even newer novel: Miss Julia Stirs Up Trouble. I can't wait to get my hands on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment