Friday, September 6, 2013

A Land Remembered by Patrick D. Smith

"Perhaps animals are smarter than men, he thought, taking only what they need to live today, leaving something for tomorrow. Even the hated wolf kills only for food and only for immediate need. Maybe it is man who will eventually perish as he destroys the land and all that it offers, taking the animals down with him."
              -Zech's thoughts, from the novel

Patrick Smith's award-winning novel, A Land Remembered, is an amazing saga of the fictional MacIvey family through just over 100 years of Florida history.  It starts with dirt-poor Tobias MacIvey from Georgia trying to eke out a living collecting scrawny wild cattle and herding them to market. I'm not sure if there could have been a more difficult way to make a living since they had to fight weather, wolves, outlaws and a forbidding natural environment. Tobias eventually begins growing citrus, successfully until the big freezes of 1894 and 1895.  Later his son, Zech, carries on the family businesses. The novel ends with filthy-rich Sol MacIvey retiring to a cabin in the woods, disillusioned with all the so-called progress in South Florida.

As a pre-Disney resident of Central Florida and a docent at the Orange County (Florida) Regional History Center, I had plenty of background to relate to the story. There is a whole gallery in the History Center featuring Seminoles, Pioneers, Cattle Industry and Citrus. So many facts and concepts I have mentioned in countless tours came out in the novel: marshtackies, whips, catch dogs, chickees, frolic, Jacob Summerlin, the term "Cracker," to name a few, and that doesn't begin to cover other exhibits in other galleries where one learns about mosquitoes, sternwheelers, Henry Flagler and the railroad, Henry Ford's Model T, Timucuans, egrets and more.

I was struck by the female characters, women of Tobias, Zech and Sol. They were so loyal and hardy and brave. It is a good thing that I didn't live then! I cannot picture myself on a horse, herding cattle, facing rattlesnakes, cooking on an open fire or even a wood stove.  I would have a hard time living in Florida without air conditioning! I was impressed with the MacIvey's hired hands, as well. They worked so hard and seemed to be a part of the family.

A male friend who read A Land Remembered told me it reminded him of the Zane Greys he used to read. I know he meant that as praise. I have never read anything by Zane Grey and don't plan to but I did enjoy this novel, probably since historical fiction is my favorite genre and because of my involvement in Florida history. I give it a solid 5 rating. I would especially recommend this to folks interested in history and/or new residents in Florida.

I was absent for the meeting where this August book selection was discussed. Apparently the group loved the novel since the average rating was 4.9, one of the highest in our 5+ years! The refreshments offered included corn bread, coffee, apples and hard tack. Our group is SO creative!

I would welcome your comments!





No comments:

Post a Comment