Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Stolen into Slavery, the True Story of Solomon Northup, Free Black Man by Judith and Dennis Fradin

"Think of it! For thirty years a man, with all a man's hopes, fears, and aspirations---with a wife and children to call him husband and father---with a home, humble it may be. Then for twelve years a thing, classed with mules and horses, torn from his home and family, and driven to toil in a cotton field, by the lash of an inhuman master. Oh! It is horrible. It chills the blood."
             -Frederick Douglas, writing about Solomon Northup's story
    
This was really not the book I intended to read. After seeing a preview of a movie called "Twelve Years a Slave" I thought perhaps I should read the book before seeing the film. I ordered this one from the library but perhaps the movie is based on Twelve Years a Slave, an autobiography of Solomon Northup. At any rate Stolen into Slavery is a children's biography and was a quick and easy read. I cannot say it was enjoyable because, of course, the subject matter is very intense. It has probably prepared me somewhat to see the movie, which I am sure will be quite graphic in its portrayal of Solomon's harsh treatment as a slave. I would give the book a 4 and recommend it for students ages 11 and up. There is nothing that gives you better insight into an era of history than a good historical fiction or biography of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment