Wednesday, February 5, 2014

A Secret Kept by Tatiana De Rosnay

"I try to comfort my son. Am I any good at this? When I was his age, my mother had died and no one had comforted me. Was that why I was useless at reaching out, offering tenderness and support? Are we not forever shaped by our childhood, its scars, its secrets, its hidden pain?"
                                             -Antoine, from the novel

Well, I must say I was excited to read A Secret Kept because I had loved Sarah's Key by the same author. But this novel was certainly not the same caliber! I would rate it 3.5. (I don't allow our group to use decimals but hey, this isn't a group book.)

The story, narrated by main character Antoine Rey, did hold my attention with a gradually unfolding mystery surrounding the death of his and sister Melanie's mother years before, as well as anonymous love letters that had me wondering who they were written by and to whom. Throw in some love---well, actually more like sex---and it is something of a page turner.

No comments:

Post a Comment