Saturday, November 15, 2014

The Mephisto Club by Tess Gerritsen

"Maybe they are [a separate species]. Throwbacks to an ancient era. All I know is, they are not like us. And the only way to identify them is to track what they do. Follow the bloody trail, listen for screams. Search for what most police departments are too overwhelmed to notice: the patterns. We look beyond the background noise of everyday crimes, of routine bloodshed, to see the hot spots. We watch for the footprints of monsters."
                      -Anthony Sansone, from the novel

My third Rizzoli and Isles novel, I would rate it a 3. I liked it but didn't love it. It was definitely a page turner because I wanted to know how it would all turn out but I didn't find the plot as believable as the other two I've read.

The story has a few sub plots running, most of which will mesh in the end. Rizzoli is after a serial killer who just may be subhuman while dealing with the breakup of her parents; Maura is fighting both her feelings for an unavailable man and the attempts of the Mephisto Club to recruit her, and the "Watcher" shares his evil thoughts at intervals while his next victim is on the lam. The mysterious Anthony Sansone, quoted above, is the leader of this demon-hunting club and becomes involved in the search for the maniacal killer.

I didn't really like the premise of a killer being part human, part fallen angel and the killings were awfully gruesome. Other than that, The Mephisto Club was a suspenseful, easy read.

No comments:

Post a Comment