Thursday, February 19, 2015

Savannah Comes Undone by Denise Hildreth

"I had expected Grant to marry me. I had expected to be a novelist. I had expected the circle of life to end up, well, in a circle. But somewhere Savannah's train had missed the junction, and I was heading into a land of uncharted territory and frightening change."
                    -Savannah's reflection, from the novel

A few years ago we had a trip planned to Savannah, GA. I always enjoy reading fiction about places we are about to visit. At that time I came across Savannah from Savannah by Denise Hildreth. I remember that it was a delightful read. Unfortunately I broke my leg a few weeks before the trip which forced us to cancel. The postponed trip to Savannah is coming soon, thank goodness! While looking for literature set in the area, I rediscovered this author and found 2 sequels. Savannah Comes Undone was the first and I liked it.

I have visited Savannah in the past so I recognized some characteristics mentioned in the novel, such as the squares, parks and statues. I remembered the Mercer House owned by Jim Williams, accused of murder in the blockbuster bestseller, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. We had actually eaten at Clary's. Ms. Hildreth mentions other landmarks and restaurants that I hope to visit when we are there next month.

This story has young newspaper columnist Savannah Phillips dealing with her socialite, activist mother in a position Savannah finds embarrassing. Mix in a wise and loveable street lady, a mischievous best friend, an ex-boyfriend who is engaged, a would-be boyfriend in pursuit and even a visit from the President and you have an enchanting plot. I certainly couldn't classify the book as fine literature but it is amusing. I will rate it a 3.5, since it served its purpose, whetting my appetite for the trip, and because I have become quite fond of Savannah from Savannah.

No comments:

Post a Comment