Thursday, July 9, 2015

Idella, Marjorie Rawlings' Perfect Maid by Idella Parker with Mary Keating

"For the most part, she did not smile, and to me she seemed a lonely woman, no matter how many friends and admirers she had. She was always looking for happiness, only I don't think she ever really found it."
                                     -Idella Parker, describing Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I read this memoir the first time when I began playing a cameo role of Marjorie Rawlings. I found it very interesting then, as it shows different characteristics of the famous Florida author than what I have read in biographies. In my rereading of the book to prepare for a class I am teaching, I am once again reminded of her strengths and imperfections. Though Idella, who Rawlings referred to as her "perfect maid" felt great love for her employer, she worried about her, sometimes pitied her and at times, resented her. The quote above, I think, reflects some of the worry and pity, along with Idella's concern about Marjorie's unhealthy habits. Some of the resentment stemmed from the racial relations of the time but also the volatile temper which flared when Rawlings was drinking too much or depressed about her writing going badly.

An interesting quote near the end of Idella's book summarizes the relationship quite well:
"In private, we were often like sisters, laughing and chatting and enjoying one another's company. We shared many years [10] together, helped one another through bad times, and rejoiced for each other's happiness. Between the two of us there was deep friendship and respect, and no thought of the social differences between us.
But whenever other people were around, the barrier of color went up automatically. Without acknowledging that we were doing so, we became more distant to one another. She became the rich, white lady author, and I became quiet, reserved, and slipped back into her shadow, 'the perfect maid.'"
In the acknowledgements, Idella says she wishes that Mrs. Rawlings had lived to see integration because she truly believes Rawlings would have welcomed it.

A couple of my favorite parts of the story were when Idella invited Marjorie to go to church with her and the humorous results that followed. Also, examples of the racial divide were shown in the Ocala movie theater episode---pretty funny to read but very frightening for Idella at the time.  I applauded Marjorie when the restaurant would not allow Idella to use the restroom somewhere in GA or SC and she refused to stay there and made Norton, her 2nd husband, drive on to a place where they could pull over and go in the woods!

All in all, this is not the greatest literature, but seems to have a lot of "heart." I am a fan of Marjorie Rawlings and if you are, you will surely find this a good read---an easy one, too, at only 129 pages with a number of photographs. I rate it a 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment