Friday, August 21, 2015

The Alibi Man by Tami Hoag

"I was being brought into the fold of the Alibi Club and I knew without question I would find Irina Markova's killer among them. It was like being brought into a den of lions. Luckily for me I was an adrenalin junkie. I wouldn't miss it."
                                -Elena Estes, from the novel

I have read a few mysteries by Tami Hoag but not for a while. I must admit I didn't technically read this one. I listened to it on CDs in my car so I can't say it was a page-turner but it could have been! In some ways it was even more intense because of the talented reader, Beth McDonald, especially at the climax of the plot. I was quite impressed with her ability to do Spanish, Russian, and other accents and distinctive voices for the characters. I'm rating this one a 5 for sheer enjoyment.

The setting of the story is Wellington, Florida, aka Palm Beach. Main character Elena Estes is a former cop who discovers the body of a murdered acquaintance in the first chapter. She is determined to find the killer among the Alibi Club, a group of wealthy, privileged men including her former fiancé, a charismatic Spanish polo star, and others. In the course of her sleuthing, she trades insults and information with another ex-lover, Detective James Landry, who has official charge of the case. Throw in a Russian mob boss, the lover of victim Irina raging for vengeance, an unethical parking valet and a naïve polo pony groom and you have the makings of a thrilling plot.

I really enjoyed Elena's narration of her parts of the story. She is smart and independent with a very dry wit, irreverent at times, and eliciting laughs. In the novel she is described as sassy. In fact Elena admits she is "overflowing with sass." I am wondering what other Hoag mysteries feature her. I'll be looking for one soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment