Tuesday, February 16, 2016

All the Stars in the Heavens by Adriana Trigiani

"Alda had also observed how strange Hollywood could be. Nothing was as it seemed, including the emotions under the surface. Gorgeous actresses who wore furs and jewels and waved to the crowds at premieres, in private had crushing bout of self-loathing and engaged in all kinds of self-destructive behavior. Actors who were handsome, strong, athletic, and robust on the set, in private could not stop drinking. Their working world of heightened emotions and perfection was an illusion that fed their unworthiness."                             -from the novel

This historical fiction tells the love story of Loretta Young and Clark Gable. Loretta, whose real name is Gretchen Belzer, confesses that she falls in love with all her leading men. On the rebound from her involvement with Spencer Tracy, she stars in Call of the Wild with Gable and she falls hard for him. I found myself wondering if I ever saw that movie and thinking I would like to watch it.

The other main character is Alda Ducci, an aspiring nun, who is dismissed by the Mother Superior as not being ready and ends up working for Loretta Young. She is treated very well by the family and ends up being a true and valued friend and advisor to the actress. Her own love story is woven into Miss Young's affairs of heart.

I remembered several actors mentioned in the story---especially Spencer Tracy, David Niven and Hattie McDaniel. Of course, I knew Clark Gable, mostly from "Gone with the Wind." I knew he was very handsome but apparently he was also quite charming with a great sense of humor. He did have a roving eye for the ladies---was married 5 times!

When I began the book, I knew who Loretta Young was though  I couldn't recall a specific movie in which she had performed. In reading her story I admired her willingness to take risks as in using radio and, later, television to keep working and maintain her fan base past an age when many actresses could not. I think I remember her TV show in the 50's.

I was surprised that at age 21, Loretta already had several movies to her credit. It was interesting to find that she was a devout Catholic, though certainly not a pious one. It was not surprising that the Hollywood of the early days was similar to how we think of it today with faithful, lasting marriages being few and far between.

My rating is 3.5, an interesting story but not really compelling and having little literary value.

No comments:

Post a Comment