Sunday, May 22, 2016

Bridget Jones Mad About the Boy by Helen Fielding

"Wednesday 5 June 2013
134 lb, hours in a day 24, hours required to do all things supposed to do in day 36, hours spent worrying about how to fit in all things supposed to do in day 4, number of things supposed to have done actually done 1 (go to toilet)."
                    -from Bridget's diary

I fondly remembered Bridget Jones's Diary, both the novel and the movie with Renee Zellweger from years ago so I thought I'd like this one from 2013. I DID enjoy it but my rating is a 3 because it became a little tedious in parts. At 476 pages, it's probably longer than it should be.

Fielding uses a similar style to the original ...Diary in this sequel but along with diary entries she uses texts, emails and tweets to move the plot along. The quote is a great example.

In Mad About the Boy screenwriter Bridget Jones, still grieving over the tragic death of her precious husband Mark, tries to reenter the dating scene with a "toy boy" named Roxby McDuff who is 21 years younger. They call each other Roxster and Jonesy.

I found it difficult to identify with Bridget: she is British, a widow of a younger generation with 2 small children and more involved with social media, especially Twitter in this novel. I did find many of her antics amusing such as the treatment of her children's lice problem. It was a crazy coincidence that I had just watched an episode of "Fresh Off the Boat" on TV about the same subject! I also enjoyed the references to London since I had been there a year ago.

Basically I would recommend this book to women in their 40's or 50's. I don't believe most of our Page Turners group would find it satisfying.


No comments:

Post a Comment