Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Nine Florida Stories by Marjory Stoneman Douglas edited by Kevin M. McCarthy

"The nine stories have been selected not only for their excellence but also for the picture of life in South Florida during the first half of this century.  They are told by a woman who has lived in Miami for the last 70 years and has spent her career writing about the area's problems and scoundrels and its beauty and heroes. For her writing and her contribution to the state's environmental concerns she might very well be Florida's Woman of the Century."
                 -Editor Kevin M. McCarthy, in his introduction, copyright 1990

I must admit I am not a huge fan of short stories. I read this one in preparation for a class I am teaching on Florida's Three Marjories, of which Douglas is one. I hoped to discover one to share with my class. She won an O. Henry Award in 1927 for "He Man" which is included in this collection. It was interesting and the surprise ending made me think of O. Henry's work.

My favorite was "By Violence," the one I will offer my students. It takes place near Chokoloskee Island in South Florida. It involves a very young man who has lost his father and wants to find a way to keep his siblings together. He takes a boat out hoping to find a way to make some money, perhaps by transporting tourists. He soon finds 3 men who seem to need rescuing but it doesn't take long to figure out these are some of the "scoundrels" mentioned in my quote.


No comments:

Post a Comment