Saturday, February 25, 2017

Skin Tight by Carl Hiaasen

"One of the wondrous things about Florida, Rudy Graveline thought as he chewed on a jumbo shrimp, was the climate of unabashed corruption: There was absolutely no trouble from which money could not extricate you."                           -from the novel

I have only read a few books by this author and a couple were young adult fiction. My husband and I listened to his Basket Case in the car on a trip a while back and really got a kick out of it. Now I am preparing to teach a class featuring 4 Florida authors including Hiaasen so I need to familiarize myself with his work. Skin Tight was entertaining, to say the least.

Protagonist Mick Stranahan, a former state investigator, is apparently on someone's hit list. A case comes to light that involves the disappearance of a young woman just after her appointment with a cosmetic surgeon, Dr. Rudy Graveline. I surely don't want to spoil this action-packed plot for you but even if I didn't mind, I am not sure I would be able to explain it all. Suffice it to say, it involves a hit man with a grotesque skin condition, a totally incompetent plastic surgeon, two journalists---one who looks for a good story more for his own glory than informing the public and the other who provides the love interest. Oh, and I forgot to mention the "pet" barracuda!

I can tell you this: if you've ever thought of having plastic surgery you will likely change your mind after reading this book! In particular the description of a liposuction was pretty disgusting.

I don't think anyone could consider Skin Tight great literature but it surely was fun! If you like a good detective story with a bit of humor thrown in, you just might enjoy it. I will rate it a 4+.

No comments:

Post a Comment