Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Someone Else's Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson

"I was so effing sick of other people's love stories, today in particular. Why would some higher power send me to a nun, only to have her tell me this?..........This, right here, this was my story, and love had no place in it."
             -Shandi Pierce, from the novel

This novel starts out with a bang, quite literally! I could hardly put it down for the first few chapters as protagonist Shandi Pierce is held hostage in a convenience store robbery attempt. Her precocious 3-year-old is there with her along with a few others, including William Ashe who she instinctively feels will be the one to save the day. He starts out by protecting and comforting Natty, her son, immediately endearing himself to Shandi. After this frightening episode has ended, the two are understandably connected emotionally.

Shandi and William each have unresolved traumas in their recent past. Shandi's story shifts to William's and back frequently. She has a platonic friend, Walcott, on whom she greatly depends. William's equivalent is Paula, best friend of both him and his wife, Bridget. These two secondary characters provide some conflict, along with Shandi's at-odds divorced parents and a "ghost" from her past.

The author uses Southern flavor, humor and realistic dialogue to produce a good story, one with a surprise (and I would say rather abrupt) ending. I have read 4 other books by this author and I think the first two were my favorites, Gods in Alabama and Between, Georgia. This one I will rate a 3. I admit to being a bit disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment