Wednesday, September 13, 2017

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

"I wish this story were different. I wish it were more civilized. I wish it showed me in a better light, if not happier, then at least more active, less hesitant, less distracted by trivia. I wish it had more shape. I wish it were about love, or about sudden realizations important to one's life, or even about sunsets, birds, rainstorms, or snow."
            -Offred's thoughts from the novel

When my husband and I see a play that he thinks is confusing or pointless, he describes it as
STEE-range (strange)! Well, in my opinion this book is truly STEE-range! The next time I see the word dystopian in the description of a novel, I will not even begin. I must admit I started this one because it was free on my Kindle and then continued because I became morbidly curious about the outcome. In reading The Handmaid's Tale, one can't help but be reminded of George Orwell's novels 1984 and Animal Farm.

At the outset, it is obvious that the Republic of Gilead has taken over what was the United States and life for the protagonist and narrator, Offred, has changed tremendously from "the time before." The Gileadean regime is totalitarian and supposedly theocratic though I could not see Godliness anywhere. As a matter of fact, it seemed more satanic. The reader is kept guessing as to how this revolution came about but through Offred's flashbacks it becomes a little clearer.

The plot reveals the evils of this government's total control and subjugation of people, especially women who have become valued only for their abilities to reproduce. (There is a very low birth rate and diminishing population.) There is so much violence with practices such as salvaging and particicution. (You'll have to read the book to figure those out.) Those in authority, like Offred's Commander, are extremely hypocritical since they secretly drink, smoke and even visit a Playboy-type club (All are illegal for the masses). Since many do not approve of the new regime, there are underground organizations---the group called Mayday, a word I learned comes from the French m'aidez, or help me, and the Underground Femaleroad. Sound familiar?

There is a bit of a mystery when Offred finds the words Nolite te bastardes carborundorum carved in her closet by her predecessor. Who was she? What happened to her? What does it mean?

The author's style is mostly stream of consciousness with numerous sentence fragments, not a favorite of mine, but at times she is almost poetic. I must surely give her credit for a vivid imagination and creativity. I will rate the book a 3 and though the story is dark and disturbing, I guess I am glad I read it. At least I learned to steer clear of dystopian fiction!

No comments:

Post a Comment