Monday, November 6, 2017

The 9th Girl by Tami Hoag

"I lose my balance on these eggshells
You tell me to tread, I'd rather be a wild one instead
Don't wanna hang around the in-crowd
The cool kids aren't cool to me
They're not cooler than we are
     So hey, we brought our drum and this is how we dance
     No mistakin', we make our breaks, if you don't like our 808s
     Then leave us alone, cause we don't need your policies
     We have no apologies for being
Find me where the wild things are (oh my, we'll be alright, don't mind us)
Find me where the wild things are (oh my, we'll be just fine, don't mind us, yeah)"
-excerpt from "Wild Things," songwriters Tillman, Wuihun Ho, Caracciolo; sung by Alessia Cara

This was another page-turner by Tami Hoag, called "one of the hottest names in the suspense game" by People magazine. After several literary works, it's fund to read a good old murder mystery. My rating? A five for likeable characters, an intriguing, fast-paced plot and easy readability.

The story has detective partners Sam Kovac and Nikki Liska investigating the death of "Zombie Doe," a New Years Eve murder victim thought to be the 9th girl in a series of killings. The perp has earned the nickname Doc Holiday because the bodies have all been found on holidays.

When the story led to a group of troubled teens, including Liska's son, I wasn't sure if I'd really like the book. After learning their stories I couldn't help but sympathize with the kids. Is that the former 5th grade teacher in me? Absolutely.

It was surprising when the villain introduced himself in chapter 12 and announced his plans! I didn't expect to know the murderer so soon in the story but there's a reason for that....

About the quote above: The song "Wild Things" was used in a Jazzercise routine and when I listened to the lyrics, I couldn't help thinking of character Penny Gray and her poetry. I was also reminded of Jodi Picoult's novel Nineteen Minutes with its teen characters.

I was surprised by the ending with its unexpected twist. If you like crime novels, I think you'll enjoy The 9th Girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment