Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Christmas in Harmony by Philip Gullay

"In this unsettled world, it is good to have this steadiness---the Christmas Eve service, the peal of the bell, the star atop the Peacocks' silo, the saints burdened with concern. There is holiness to memory, a sense of God's presence in these mangers of the mind. Which might explain why it is that the occasions that change the least are often the very occasions that change us the most."
             -Pastor Gardner, from the novel

I found this novel along with two other holiday-themed ones on a special display at the public library. Having just finished Hidden Figures which was a little tedious with all its technical details I needed some light reading. This one was perfect---not only light but delightful! I will give it a 5 for enjoyment. At only 84 pages, I finished in only a couple of hours though not at one sitting; it read more like a short story.

Sam Gardner is the pastor of the Harmony Friends Meeting House in Harmony, Indiana. Elder Dale Hinshaw is his "cross to bear," an outspoken church member who comes up with some wacky ideas including the progressive nativity featured in this Christmas story. It made me laugh out loud several times, always the sign of good entertainment.

I was struck by Sam's mention of "It's a Wonderful Life" as a favorite of his wife. My husband and I just viewed the movie for the first time several days ago. We had also seen it done as a live radio play on stage recently. It certainly is a memorable story!

My impression of Quakerism was shaken up by this reading. I must know very little about the religion because in the book Christmas Eve service didn't sound so different from our Presbyterian church. Turns out the author is a Quaker minister so I figure the novel offers an accurate picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment