Friday, April 13, 2018

Idella Parker From Reddick to Cross Creek by Idella Parker with Bud and Liz Crussell

Idella Parker
The tenant house at Cross Creek
"It's strange to me how in those early days at Cross Creek we knew it wasn't slavery; but our life there must have been similar to plantation life. We lived crowded in the small unpainted, tin-top tenant house, with little comforts. We had to do what we were told, and we were isolated from other people. We couldn't leave the place unless Mrs. Rawlings let us use her car or truck, and we were always told what time to be back. The only difference between that and slavery, I think, was that the slaves were not paid like we were."
                 -Idella Parker

For a few years I have taught classes centered around Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings. In preparation, I read several books by and about her, including one called Idella: Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings' Perfect Maid by Idella Parker with Mary Keating. I had found it very enlightening, showing a very different perspective of Rawlings. Recently I discovered this one, another autobiography? Well, yes, and it seems Idella's purpose was to tell more of her own story---describing her hometown of Reddick, FL, her family, her love life and the time before and after she worked for Rawlings. I will rate it a 3. I found it interesting although much of the portion about MKR, about a third of the book, was repeated to some degree from the first book.

Idella had a fairly challenging life in pre-Civil Rights north central Florida. (see quote) I didn't realize she had taught school before working for Rawlings and was a teacher of educable mentally handicapped children later. Idella's mother's reaction to Marjorie's offer of blood after Idella's surgery was quite amusing. I would have to say I learned a lot about Parker but didn't find much new material on MKR---disappointing. But I really liked that Idella maintained a relationship with Marjorie's second husband, Norton Baskin after her passing.

No comments:

Post a Comment