Thursday, July 26, 2018

Before the Fall by Noah Hawley

"Everyone has their path. The choices they've made. How any two people end up in the same place at the same time is a mystery."
              -from the novel

No doubt---this one rates a five! I could hardly put it down. Much of the novel was exciting and vividly descriptive with even some philosophical musings for good measure.

A private jet crashes off Martha's Vineyard with 11 people on board. Only 2 survive---Scott Burroughs, would-be artist, and a small boy, J.J., whose parents and sister are among the lost. Scott, a champion swimmer in his prime, miraculously saves himself and the child and should be considered a hero, but that is not exactly what happens.

The cause of the crash is up in the air (pun intended)---mechanical failure, terrorism, sabotage? Author Hawley introduces each passenger in turn, revealing background and personality, keeping the reader guessing through many chapters. In addition to the pilot, co-pilot and flight attendant, there is a family of 4, the father being the very wealthy David Bateman, a Rupert Murdock type character and founder of a FOX-like news network. With David: wife Maggie, daughter Rachel, son J.J, and security guard Gil. Another rich couple, invited guests of the Batemans, are Ben and Sarah Kipling. We find out later Ben is being investigated by the Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Controls and on the verge of being charged. Last to embark is Scott who just recently has gotten his life back on track and was offered a lift to New York by Maggie Bateman.

To the major characters add in some investigators, a rich heiress trying to rescue Scott from the paparazzi, an aunt and uncle who will be expected to raise J. J. (and along with that, guard his inheritance of millions) and a bulldog of a sensationalist news commentator---think Sean Hannity---easy for me to dislike.

I found Scott's story of being inspired by Jack LaLanne when he was just a boy especially interesting because I remember his TV show back in the day and my mother was a huge fan. Jack was called the "fittest man on earth."

I am not sure how long it would have been before I discovered this one on my own. As it turned out, my husband noted that on an upcoming cruise, a book club would form to read and discuss this novel. I am ready! (I've read it may soon be a movie. Fingers crossed!)

----------------
I chose this book for Page Turners for February, 2019, because I had enjoyed it and could check out a "book bundle" ( a set of 10 copies) from our public library for our members. When we rated the book I was surprised that most did NOT love the book. The rating was 3.4 with two 5's and twos 2's. Apparently some readers found parts of the plot implausible and others thought it started out as a page-turner but did not maintain its intensity. I would have to agree it is not really great literature in the strictest sense but it held high entertainment value for me. Most did not think they would read it again, but I believe I will. Our discussion was interesting, as always.



No comments:

Post a Comment