Thursday, April 25, 2019

Standing Alone in Mecca by Asra Nomani

"This book is testimony to the potential for all of us to become empowered, spiritually, intellectually, and emotionally, if we allow it. When I started the book, my goal was to describe my experience doing the hajj. But along the way I found my voice, and the book helped me to clarify my identity as a Muslim woman."
             -Asra Nomani, from the Epilogue

I am not sure I would ever have read this book if someone else had not chosen it but I am so glad I did. A member of our Page Turner group had volunteered to lead the group meeting in May while I was away on a 3-week trip. I suggested she select the book and her choice was Standing Alone in Mecca. I admit my first reaction was lukewarm. As it turned out my trip was cancelled and after realizing I would be attending the May meeting after all, I felt I had to read it. It didn't take long to realize how extraordinary it was!  While I wouldn't say the book was entertaining, I was grateful for all it taught me about Islam, earning a solid 4 rating from me.

Journalist Asra Nomani was brought up a Muslim by immigrant parents from India. In an effort to learn more about her faith and her place within it, she decides to embark on a hajj, or religious pilgrimage to the most sacred sites of the faith. Accompanying her are her parents, niece and nephew and her infant son, whose birth out of wedlock has caused her much guilt due to the rigidity of conservative Islamic beliefs about sex. Though I felt the quote I chose to begin my post was a good overview of the book, there were SO many worthwhile and profound opinions of the author and quotes from other religious scholars that she included, it was a difficult choice.

Although I knew of male domination in Islamic communities of the Middle East, I was not aware of its extent in the U.S. Validated and inspired by her hajj experience, Nomani becomes a very strong vocal advocate for Muslim women's rights. I was very impressed by her passion and determination. And it seems she IS making a difference! The author includes letters and emails of affirmation and appreciation from some of her readers, along with some ugly, threatening messages. With that being said, let's add brave to her list of attributes!

Standing Alone in Mecca reminded me in some ways of My Father's Paradise by Ariel Sabar. There are interesting contrasts also. Both books are written by journalists, 2nd generation Americans, one a Muslim woman and the other a Jewish man. Both books were somewhat inspired by the birth of a first child and a desire for self-examination. Each book involves travel in the Middle East and includes a good bit of history.


Kaaba, Mecca, Saudi Arabia
Al-Masjd an-Nabawi, "The Prophet's Mosque," Medina, Saudi Arabia
                                                                                                           
-------------------------
Our Page Turners discussion was very thought-provoking with most readers feeling they learned so much about Islam. Even one member who is a retired pastor and admitted she had taken world religions said she discovered things she didn't know. Our leader who selected the book said she felt it was very personal and honest and made her feel she actually KNEW Asra Nomani. Some of our discussion centered on how other religions have been or still are corrupted by the desire for power and control just as radical Islam has been. The group's average rating was 3.5.






No comments:

Post a Comment