Saturday, March 28, 2020

Saving Faith by David Baldacci

"Amateurs  didn't find ways to pay off veteran FBI agents. They didn't hire hit men who lurked in the woods waiting for their prey. They didn't impersonate FBI agents with credentials so authentic they had scared off the cops. Sinister theories of conspiracy swirled in her head, sending a shiver of fear down her back. No matter how long you did this, the fear was always there. To be alive was to be afraid. To not be afraid was to be dead."
                       -thoughts of FBI agent Brooke Reynolds from the novel

I like Baldacci so when I found this one, a used paperback at a tiny cost, I brought it home. You could call it a political thriller or a suspense or spy novel.  After reading several chapters, I was very confused---so many characters chasing other characters. I was still trying to figure out who the good guys were. I figured Faith must be OK because of the title of the book. By the halfway point, I was pretty much hooked.

It soon becomes clearer that Faith Lockhart, a lobbyist and whistle-blower, is on someone's hit list. When the assassins blow their first chance to take her out, they end up killing an FBI agent and sending Faith on the lam with Lee Adams, a PI who had just happened to be looking for her, too.

A secondary plot has veteran FBI agent Brooke Reynolds losing her job over an unauthorized search and later,  hunting for Faith in an apparent attempt to save her life. The story involves some serious animosity between FBI and CIA to the point of violence. I wonder if any of that competitiveness is true in real-life Washington, D.C.

I probably can't say much more without spoilers. I will rate this one a 3.5, not the best by this author, but after reading The True Jesus, it was quite entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment