Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Whisper Me This by Kerry Anne King

"Whisper me this, my darling, my love
The song of the moonlight, of stars up above.
Whisper me truth, love, and whisper me lies,
Warm days of winter, cold summer skies.
Whisper me anger, whisper me rain,
Whisper me flowers, the whisper me pain.
When I come to die, love, then whisper me this
The shape of a memory, the truth of a kiss.
Whisper me, whisper me, whisper me this
A lifetime of memories and one final kiss."
              -from the novel

I practically inhaled this book---definitely a page-turner! A 5-rating for sheer entertainment!

Maisey Addington, in her 30's, suffering from broken self-confidence and searching for a purpose in life, gets a call that will change her life in a very dramatic way. Her mother is in a coma and her father looks like he could be guilty of abuse or neglect. Father Walter is confused, seemingly sinking into dementia, so Maisey must take on the responsibility for handling some of her mother's affairs. In searching for important papers, she discovers very deep family secrets.

Maisey's daughter, Elle, is a precocious 12-year-old who is as much an emotional support for her mother as Maisey is to her. Early on, Tony, a paramedic involved with the discovery of Maisey's mother's unconscious body, takes on the role of Maisey's "bodyguard." The reader quickly notices the chemistry between Maisey and Tony and wonders how that will work out because it is soon discovered that Tony is dealing with his own demons from a past trauma. 

Interspersed in the narrative are passages of Maisey's mother's journal, revealing bit by bit the
long-buried events of the past. This is an intriguing story, to be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment