Friday, January 8, 2021

A Time for Mercy by John Grisham

 "I have always found that mercy bears richer fruits than strict justice."

                                      -Abraham Lincoln


I have read many of Grisham's novels and enjoyed them all. I read A Time to Kill and saw the film version years ago. That story captivated me. I believe it is considered a classic in some circles.

Young Mississippi attorney Jake Brigance, once again takes on a very controversial case---reluctantly, this time, but ends up giving all he can to save a 16-year-old accused of murdering a cop. He pursues the defense of Drew Gamble even through loss of earnings, threats of violence and actual assault. I would consider him a hero in his pursuit of truth, justice and mercy. 

This novel was definitely a page-turner!  I was rating it a 5 until the end left me somewhat disappointed, seeming to cry out for a sequel, so it gets a 4 instead. I I anticipate there will be a movie version soon. 

A Time for Mercy is designated Jake Brigance Book 3. I knew A Time to Kill was #1 and somehow I found I had missed #2, Sycamore Row. I have already ordered it from the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment