Monday, February 8, 2021

Sycamore Row by John Grisham

 "He had read the will a hundred times and still had the same two reactions. One, it was mean-spirited, harsh, cruel, and unreasonable. Two, it made him wonder what Lettie was doing to make the old boy so fond of her. But, as always, another reading convinced him Seth knew exactly what he was doing. If a person has testamentary capacity, then that person can make all the wild and unreasonable bequests he or she wants."                 -Jake Brigance's thoughts, from the novel

Some time ago I was a big fan of John Grisham and read many of his earlier novels. Suddenly, I find myself a renewed admirer of his writing and story-telling expertise. Not long ago I read, and blogged, A Time for Mercy, the latest of Grisham's and a current best-seller. I loved it and realized that it was a 3rd Jake Brigance story and that I had missed the second, Sycamore Row. The first was A Time to Kill, way back in 1989, a powerful story adapted into an unforgettable movie. Maybe part of the reason for this fixation on Jake Brigance is picturing him as Matthew McConaughey in "A Time to Kill"! I neglected almost everything else when I got involved in this one---a rating of 5, for sure.

I received the book on CDs from the library before my print copy arrived. I loved the narration by Michael Beck. He must be an excellent actor because he had different voices for all the characters---male and female. So entertaining! 

In this legal thriller, Jake is tasked with defending a hand-written will mailed to him by Seth Hubbard, a local businessman, just before he commits suicide. In this will, Seth cuts out his family and leaves a bundle to his black housekeeper, Lettie Lang. Because of an outraged family and their zealous lawyers and plenty of racism still showing its ugly head in the late 1980s, it will be a major undertaking for Jake to see that Seth's final wishes are honored. 

As I mentioned, the book was highly entertaining with a good bit of humor; however, the plot proceeds to an intense, difficult-to-read part that reminded me of Mildred D. Taylor's series about the black Logan family in Mississippi trying desperately to hang onto their land while despicable whites try to take it away. It also made me think of the Ocoee Massacre of 1920 in a nearby Florida community which has had much publicity because of the 100th anniversary and the fact that the tragic event centered around an election.

I can't say much more without possible spoilers. In my opinion, Grisham is the master of legal thrillers. I am surely hoping for another Brigance episode! And another film adaptation, perhaps? My plan, while I am waiting, is to reread A Time to Kill and maybe see the movie again.


No comments:

Post a Comment