Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Miss Julia Happily Ever After by Ann B. Ross

 ""Oh, nothing much....Somebody got married. A few others are planning to. Another one is hoping to. Mildred is planning a party. A naked man came to visit. I got shot at, and Lillian speaks Japanese."

      -Julia's answer to Sam's query about what went on while he was away

          

I have read and enjoyed all the novels in the Miss Julia series and this is to be the finale. How bittersweet that is! I am such a big fan. I can only hope Ms. Ross has some more amusing ideas up her sleeve. This book arrived at a perfect time for me. The last three historical fictions I had read were emotionally intense and disturbing in parts: American Dirt, The Four Winds and The Last Correspondent. Miss Julia is always good for some giggles and some laugh-out-louds and this one did not disappoint. Plus the mystery of the streaker keeps the reader wanting to know: WHO IS IT?

The title and the quote above will offer clues about the plot(s). One of the most compelling is Miss Lillian, Julia's wise and loveable housekeeper, may receive a marriage proposal from a very prominent businessman in town and Julia is distracted by worrying about losing her as a valued employee. Of several possible weddings, only two actually take place. I will let you wonder which of Julia's friends marry and read for yourself.

Much of the humor is offered by the mystery of the naked man appearing to several ladies in the town. Eventually they take it upon themselves to catch the culprit.

I will rate this book a 5 for sheer enjoyment! I will surely miss reading new Miss Julia episodes.

No comments:

Post a Comment