Wednesday, July 14, 2021

There's a Hole in My Bucket: A Journey of Two Brothers by Royd Tolkien


"It's in moments like this, moments of clarity, that I remember why I'm doing what I'm doing. Mike's bucket list. Because every so often it brings me back closer to him, and closer to some vague, almost attainable sense of peace."

                -Royd Tolkien, from the memoir




I selected this book from Amazon Prime First Reads and I am very glad I did. I will rate it a 4 and perhaps the reasons will be clear as I continue. 

The Welsh Tolkien brothers, Royd and Mike, great-grandsons of J.R.R. Tolkien, were about as close as any brothers can be. Both enjoy the outdoors and high adventure activities. (Some I would call high-risk!) Although he is 5 years younger than Royd, Mike competes with his older brother, even tries to best him in everything---and often succeeds. This competitive part of their relationship reminded me of what my husband has said about his 4-years-younger brother, who often excelled beyond his older brother's achievements.

In his memoir, Royd describes the bond with his brother and how it is tested by Mike's diagnosis of Motor Neurone Disease (called ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease in the U.S.) Royd takes on a large part of Mike's care as the disease progresses rapidly. When Mike passes away he has left behind a "bucket list" of 50 tasks for Royd to perform. Some are silly and embarrassing but others are downright frightening. 

Royd describes these challenges so well----at times suspenseful, nerve-wracking and quite often, humorous. Many passages are poignant as he relates what the particular bucket list item meant to his brother and to himself. 

I would recommend this book, especially to male readers and those who have a working knowledge of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy. I was not familiar with the works of Tolkien and I believe I would have enjoyed it even more if I had been. I have never been to New Zealand either, and much of the action takes place there. I'd love to see that place but would definitely not aspire to the activities Royd undertook!

There's a Hole in My Bucket was both entertaining and touching. The love between these brother was almost palpable.


No comments:

Post a Comment