Thursday, September 16, 2021

Iron Lake by William Kent Krueger

"Everything disappoints us sometimes. Everybody disappoints us. Men let women down, women let men down, ideals don't hold water....I think we expect too much. Simple as that. And the only thing that lets us down is our own expectation.  I used to pray to God for an easy life. Now I pray to be a strong person." 

                           -Father Tom Griffin, aka St. Kawasaki, from the novel

This is my third novel by Mr. Krueger, but the first of his Cork O'Conner series. It was a page-turner, for sure, but I must rate it a 4 because it didn't quite measure up to the quality of Ordinary Grace or This Tender Land, which I loved.

Each of Krueger's novels I have read are set in or around Minnesota and two of them have involved native Americans in a significant way. I am learning things about the native cultures of the area and about the injustice often faced by these people.

Corcoran "Cork" O'Conner is the former sheriff of Aurora, Minnesota who cannot seem to get investigating crime out of his system. When the town judge is found dead seemingly by suicide---or not---and a young boy disappears while out delivering newspapers, Cork cannot help getting involved. The more he snoops and questions townsfolk, the more he uncovers---dishonor, graft, treachery...and murder!
In the process, he finds himself at risk, as well as people he holds dear.

I look forward to reading Cork O'Connor, book 2!



No comments:

Post a Comment