Friday, November 26, 2021

Boundary Waters by William Kent Krueger

 "Oh, the water is wide. I cannot cross o'er. And neither have I wings to fly. Give us a boat that will carry two. And both shall cross, Shiloh and I."

                 -a song Shiloh was taught by her mother, from the novel

This is the fourth book I have read by this author, the second in the Cork O'Conner series of mysteries. So far Ordinary Grace and This Tender Land are my favorites. I've enjoyed the mysteries but the other two were extraordinary. This one gets a 3 rating. Although I liked it overall, I found it confusing in parts. I surely never figured out the real "bad guy" until it was revealed.

The plot is set with the disappearance of Shiloh, a famous singer, into the Boundary Waters. A group of men, including Cork set out to find her when they suspect she is in trouble. The book becomes quite a page-turner when rescuers are being stalked and even murdered and Shiloh is caught by a mystery man. 

As with other books by Krueger, this one takes place in rural Minnesota and involves Native Americans. I have enjoyed learning a bit about the culture---religion, respect for nature, mythology and language---through his writing. 

There are many novels in this series and I plan to read all of them eventually. Purgatory Ridge is next up.

No comments:

Post a Comment