Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Thanksgiving by Janet Evanovich

"She slowly drove through the streets, observing the newly hung eighteenth-century Christmas decorations. Red velvet bows and evergreen sprays adorned many of the private residences. Traditional Williamsburg wreaths of laurel, trimmed with fresh apples, pineapples, pinecones, and peanuts hung on doors."\

       -from the novel


Since it was November, the title intrigued me. I have never read anything by this author, and I may have had her confused with another. At any rate, I had no idea she is known as a romance writer, probably my least favorite genre. It is highly doubtful I will ever read another of her works.

I was delighted at first when I saw that the setting was Colonial Williamsburg, one of my very favorite historic sites in the US. I was there for a week the first of 3 visits and absolutely fell in love with it. So, it was fun remembering the places mentioned in the story: King's Arms Tavern, Christiana Campbell's, Market Square, College of William and Mary, Duke of Gloucester Street, and Bruton Parish Church, among others. Also, my second visit was just after Thanksgiving and we expected to see Christmas decorations going up but fall colors were a bit late, so we got to enjoy the beauty of that, as well. (And we live in Florida, so we don't see this change of seasons.) 

In this novel, Megan Murphy is a greeter in Colonial Williamsburg after experiencing 3 broken engagements. She meets the new and handsome pediatrician in town and wouldn't you know, falls madly in love. So very predictable and very syrupy sweet! I am rating the book a 2 which is rare for me. In my opinion, there is no literary value and the setting was its only redeeming feature!




                                                                     A typical Christmas wreath in Colonial Williamsburg

No comments:

Post a Comment