Saturday, December 9, 2023

Back of the Yard by Meg Lelvis

 

"People say time marches on, but to me, time sneaks away, silently fading into memories you keep, and memories you wish you could erase."

                 -Betty O'Leary, from the novel




I always enjoy historical fiction and this one subtitled A Great Depression Family Saga involves a time period I have not read often. Main character Betty O'Leary is born in 1930 in Chicago, back of the stockyards, hence the title. She is the youngest in her Irish family and while Betty is a small child, the family experiences a tragic loss which will affect them all in the future, emotionally and mentally. Betty not only grieves the loss but blames herself for it and feels abandoned when she is sent to live with her aunt and uncle because her mother is incapacitated. So much angst for a young person!

I rated the book a 4 and I especially liked Betty's early years and her experiences with school and books. (That's the elementary school teacher in me!) I was rooting for her all along to find peace, hope and happiness in her life. 

I am personally acquainted with this author, and I will want to read more of her work.



No comments:

Post a Comment