Thursday, February 8, 2024

The Murder on the Links by Agatha Christie

 

"That when you have two crimes precisely similar in design and execution, you find the same brain behind them both. I am looking for that brain, M. Giraud---and I shall find it. Here we have a true clue---a psychological clue. You may know all about cigarettes and match ends, M. Giraud, but I, Hercule Poirot, know the mind of man!"        -Hercule Poirot


I didn't realize this was only the second of Christie's long line of Hercule Poirot novels. I selected it because the title indicated a golf course. I am something of a golf fan---watching, not playing. I was disappointed that almost the only golf reference was the location of the first murder victim. 

Poirot and his friend, Arthur Hastings arrive in a small town in France after receiving a letter from businessman Paul Renauld, only to find him dead. Of course, there are many suspects---his wife, his son, a lover and a couple of others. Poirot has to use his "little grey cells" to do his usual sleuthing while avoiding the arrogant inspector M. Girard of the Paris Sûreté.

The story is told from Hastings' perspective which I enjoyed. I find there is usually a good bit of humor in Christie's mysteries along with the intrigue. I rate The Murder on the Links a 3.



No comments:

Post a Comment