Tuesday, July 16, 2024

In Such Good Company by Carol Burnett

 

"I'm so glad we had this time together
Just to have a laugh or sing a song.
Seems we just got started
and before you know it
Comes the time we have
to say, 'So long.'"
   -from the theme song of "The Carol Burnett Show"



Someone left this book at my door anonymously. I suspect it was someone who knew I was a fan of Carol Burnett. It was not really a page-turner, but it was an easy, enjoyable read. I will rate it a 3. Liked it, didn't love it. Ms. Burnett is a great stage talent but not the best writer. I found a good bit of repetition and a few long descriptions of certain shows rather tedious.

The subtitle of this memoir is Eleven Years of Laughter, Mayhem and Fun in the Sandbox. As the actual title would indicate Carol writes mostly about the people she worked with on her variety show from 1967-1978. She goes into detail about her regulars like Harvey Korman, Tim Conway and Vicki Lawrence and even describes some of her favorite comedy sketches. She also compliments writers, producers, camera operators and other behind-the-scene contributors, not to mention Bob Mackie, the amazing costumer. One can sense that the cast was like a family and enjoyed "playing in the sandbox" together.

My favorite parts of the book were descriptions of sketches I remember like the Starlet O'Hara costume, Tim's elephant story, and the dentist scene with Tim and Harvey. (See link below---enjoy!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment