"Listen: I've mentioned that, as a dog, human relationships often befuddle me---they're overly complicated ridiculously intricate. Consider, dogs, for example. Consider, if you will, me: I either love someone, or hate them, or am indifferent altogether....
But when you get right down to it, when I love someone, I love them without ambiguity. That's how it is with dogs. But human relationships? Dio Mio...love between humans can be as clear as a muddy pond."
-Cicero, from the novel
Unexpectedly this was one of the most enjoyable books I've read in a while. I generally do not read romances, and this one contains that element but much more. I am rating it a 5---well-written and so light and entertaining.
Josie Ballard is a young woman hurt by a philandering husband who takes off on a long-dreamed-of trip to Italy. Meanwhile, a "snobbish terrier of indeterminate breeding" named Cicero is wandering Pompeii, mourning the loss of his precious owner, Giorgio. When the two meet up, it seems a match made in heaven, especially when they are led to Hugo, Giorgio's estranged son. Can you say serendipity?
The chapters alternate between Josie's perspective and Cicero's narratives, which are very humorous. Made me laugh out loud at times.
I recommend this endearing story.
No comments:
Post a Comment