Saturday, December 15, 2012

Skipping Christmas by John Grisham

I have read and enjoyed many John Grisham novels and Skipping Christmas is certainly a departure from his usual legal thrillers.

At the beginning of the story the Kranks are seeing their daughter, Blair, off to Peru for a year.  Almost immediately Luther Krank becomes convinced that it is senseless to spend extreme amounts of money and time to celebrate Christmas without Blair. He decides he and his wife will "skip" Christmas and take a Caribbean cruise instead. His wife, Nora, goes along with the plan a bit reluctantly. Suddenly when they should be packing for their cruise, a surprise phone call throws them into a panic!

I would recommend this novel to empty-nesters and especially to read at this holiday time of year. It is a short (only 177 pages), easy read but offers some food for thought: Do we ever get so frustrated that we would want to "skip Christmas"?  I personally would never want to omit all that the holiday brings but I have to admit when I hear about cultures in which Christmas is celebrated only as a religious holiday, I am envious. I do often wish we did less decorating, shopping, and eating. Oh, to simplify the preparations and just focus on and enjoy the true reason for the season---the birth of Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment