Monday, December 10, 2012

The Year Everything Changed by Georgia Bockoven

I just finished The Year Everything Changed last night. It was one I wanted to finish but I won't say I loved it. I would rate it a 3.
The story involves 4 adult women who find out they have a father, Jessie, in common---yep, that makes them sisters!  A couple of them have never known their father at all and the other two were abandonned by him. They are all clueless about their sisters until called together by their father's lawyer who informs them that he is dying. In light of the fact that Jessie was an absent father it was surprising to me that all four would even fly to Sacramento for this meeting. Curiosity won out, I suppose.
Each of the sisters---Elizabeth, Christina, Rachel and Ginger---are dealing with their own life struggles at the time of this divulgement. The events which cause them to change their attitudes and feelings toward their dead father and each other make for an interesting plot, and of course, are foreshadowed by the title. The technique used by the author to reveal Jessie to his daughters is quite clever, as well.
I probably identified most with Ginger, who was adopted, since my only daughter is adopted. I wondered how she would react to being introduced to biological siblings out of the blue. As I was growing up with 3 brothers, I always wanted a sister. What if you were wishing for a sister and suddenly found you had three! Well, I actually do have three now but they are my sisters-in-law!
One of the guys in our group would say The Year Everything Changed was "chick lit" and I'd have to agree. I definitely wouldn't recommend it to the men!

No comments:

Post a Comment