Friday, November 29, 2013

Hot Lights, Cold Steel by D. P. Lyle

"Hot lights and cold steel. Surgery. The hot overhead lights and the cold steel scalpel. Got to find humor where you can."
                              -Dr. Liz Mackey, from the novel

There's a story behind the choice of this novel. After I joined the Facebook group of my high school class, I learned that one of my classmates was published author D. P. Lyle. Since I plan to go to the 50th class reunion next year, I decided I should definitely find one of his books. It's somewhat surprising I had not happened upon his writing before since I have read many mysteries by Patterson, Hoag, Clark and others. I enjoyed this one, as well, and will probably look for another.

When I began the book, I admit I thought it might be meant for a male audience---a bit coarse for me. It didn't take long for me to be sucked into the plot. I did wonder why the pages looked as if they have been splashed with dirty water. Never did figure that out. I am rating it a 3.5; it was definitely a page turner!

The novel features Dub Walker, a criminal and forensic expert and writer. He sets out to find the missing daughter of a friend and walks into the midst of some very strange serial killings. In the description of author D.P. Lyle, one can see much of main character, Dub Walker. Lyle is apparently a cardiologist, well-known forensic expert and a fairly prolific writer. He also grew up in Huntsville, Alabama which is the setting of the story. In fact, one of the things I liked the most was frequent mention of places so familiar to me from having lived in Huntsville, Rocket City, during much of my teens.

No comments:

Post a Comment