Monday, April 14, 2014

Miss Julia Stirs Up Trouble by Ann B. Ross

"It's my firm conviction that whatever convenience the Lord makes available, it's incumbent on us to be grateful for it and use it. I see no virtue in doing things the hard way merely for the sake of doing them the hard way. Just get on with it, is my attitude."
                       -Miss Julia, from the novel

What a refreshing read this was after dragging myself through Great Expectations! I believe I have read all 13 of the Miss Julia series and I love, love, love them! A rating of 5 for sure!

Julia Murdoch is a 60-ish lady who lives in a fictional small town in North Carolina. She often "stirs up trouble" but always in her efforts to right a wrong or solve a mystery or help a loved one. Julia is always the main character but I adore her housekeeper, Lillian, and many other characters who are so well-developed they've almost become part of my family---Sam, Hazel Marie and Lloyd, to name a few.

This novel doesn't have quite as much action as some others but it does have all the humor. I cannot read a Miss Julia book without laughing out loud or at least giggling to myself repeatedly. Her antics are sometimes hilarious!

Miss Julia Stirs Up Trouble is unique in that it includes many recipes, often with a story behind them and humorous comments from Miss Julia. As Hazel Marie, known partly by her inability to cook, becomes overwhelmed with caring for her twin babies and added stressors at the beginning of the story, Julia decides to enlist the help of several friends and neighbors to give her cooking lessons and submit recipes for a cookbook for her. Some of the recipes sound so tasty and simple, I hate to return the book to the library without trying some out. Maybe I will have to purchase this one!

Lest you think it is only a cookbook, let me assure you there are at least a few other plots woven into this delightful novel.  I am so excited I can now start the newest in the series which I recently received from the library: Miss Julia's Marvelous Makeover!

I highly recommend this series, especially if you are a lady of the South and age 50 plus. If you have never read any of the series, start with Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind, the first one, that sets up many future plots. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment