Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Savannah by the Sea by Denise Hildreth

"Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way."
                                            -from Tolstoy's Anna Karenina, quoted in the novel

This is the third Savannah from Savannah novel I have read and, as far as I know, the most recent. I found it both light and delightful. I will rate it a 5 for sheer entertainment. It made me laugh aloud numerous times.

Narrator Savannah Phillips decides to go on vacation with her family on the pretense of writing a story about hurricane victims in Seaside, Florida. She finds it a daunting task when she is distracted by Amber Topaz, the depressed would-be beauty queen, and her mother's new "fur baby" and then she is surprised to run into a co-worker from Savannah, a fellow she finds both attractive and annoying. Just as Savannah starts to think she could be falling in love with Joshua, he reveals a past mistake that devastates her. It was very touching how her family and friends, one by one, gave her emotional support and wise counsel as she tried to come to grips with her disappointment.

I love this author's Southern voice: "she was a rhinestone short of a complete tiara." I am still wondering what "tilling" meant in the context of the novel. I looked it up and saw no definitions that seemed to fit what I surmised was similar to "vegging out."

I also appreciate Hildreth's Christian faith, which is apparent from the story but even more so in the acknowledgements. Savannah is blessed with wonderful parents: a sweet, loving and very perceptive father, and even her Georgia-peach-Southern-belle of a mother comes through when needed. From the dedication, I think they may well have been modeled after Hildreth's own parents. The family interactions are often humorous, especially en route to Florida---5 adults and two dogs in the vehicle. Mother Vicky's backseat driving reminded me of my husband's "helpfulness" when I am driving. And later in the book when Vicky is forced to use a Porta Potti, the outcome is hilarious!

The more serious themes of honesty and forgiveness come through clearly but not too moralistically.

I chose to read the Savannah series because of an upcoming trip to Savannah, Georgia. The first two were set in that city and I took some notes on places I might want to go. I was a little disappointed that this one was set mostly in Florida but I got over that quickly as I was taken in by an amusing and touching story. My husband would call this one "chick lit" and I believe it is, in the best sense of the phrase.

*Dear Reader, I would love for you to leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment