Monday, March 9, 2015

The English Breakfast Murder by Laura Childs

“My dear if you could give me a cup of tea to clear my muddle of a head I should better understand your affairs.”
                                       -Charles Dickens from Mrs. Lirriper's Legacy, quoted in the novel


This book was chosen solely for its setting, Charleston, S.C., in preparation for my upcoming visit there. Apparently there are many Tea Shop Mysteries by this author but I had never read one. I enjoyed it and have begun a second. It seems each novel has the same protagonist, Theodosia Browning, owner of a tea shop in Charleston and amateur sleuth, and includes related recipes at the end.

The story begins with volunteer sea turtle watching on the beach which results in Theodosia's shocking discovery of a dead body. The deceased man turns out to be a friend of Drayton, Theo's employee and self-appointed crime-busting partner, so the two of them take on the task of solving what they see as his murder. Early suspects involve the dead man's business partner and fellow members of the English Breakfast Club. Other interesting characters add interest and humor to the plot, such as a fastidious and uptight ladies' apparel shop owner and her kleptomaniac sister.

According to the author I would be a "tea initiate" since I know little about the world of tea. In reading this book, I discovered there must be about as many varieties of tea as there are wines. Who knew?  Of course, the story centers around tea. Why, Theo even has a dog named Earl Grey.

Though I found that the Indigo Tea Shop is fictional, there were several landmarks of Charleston mentioned, something I was on the lookout for, like Fort Sumter, Magnolia Cemetery, Church Street in the Historic District, the Hunley (a sunken ship of the Civil War era), and so on. I am guessing some other businesses named are also made up; perhaps I will find out when I visit.

I would suggest this as light reading, not really great literature and not the ultimate page-turner. Some would call it "chick lit." If you like to cook, you may find the recipes at the end interesting. I will rate it a 3. It is good enough that I will read a second of the series but probably no more after the trip to Charleston.

Warning: If you read the English Breakfast Club Murder, you may find yourself wanting a scone and a cuppa!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment