Thursday, April 30, 2015

Miss Julia Lays Down the Law by Ann B. Ross

"So my day and evening schedules were now filled, leaving little time to grapple with worrisome matters like suspicious detectives, slippery preachers, and daring sheriff's deputies hanging out on windswept billboards."
                  -Miss Julia, from the novel

I love, love, love Miss Julia in this series of 16 novels! This adorable Southern lady is likely 60-something and a staunch Presbyterian---all of which I identify with. To top it off, her antics are often laugh-out-loud funny! I enjoy all the minor characters, as well; after reading all 16 books they seem like friends.

Miss Julia Lays Down the Law wouldn't be one of my favorites as it has a bit more serious tone than most so I will rate it 4+. Instead of Julia's usual efforts to help her family or friends in which she gets into some kind of mischief, she is trying to prove herself innocent of a mysterious wrong-doing. Lamar Owens, a new character and seemingly a good-for-not-much street person, shows up in this story, partners with Julia in trying to clear her name and provides much comic relief.

My beginning quote from the novel should whet your appetite for reading the book, but if you have read other Miss Julia adventures, you'll need no incentive!

No comments:

Post a Comment