Thursday, May 28, 2015

The Appeal by John Grisham

" The case was gone, forever dismissed by five supposedly wise men, none of whom had ever shown much sympathy for those who suffer. He had to wonder if the other four...had ever roamed the tomb-like halls of a hospital at all hours of the day and night waiting for a child to live or die. No, they had not. Otherwise, they wouldn't be what they are today."
                         -musings of Ron Fisk, from the novel

John Grisham seems to be the king of legal thrillers and The Appeal was definitely a page-turner. I didn't find the ending to be very satisfying so I am rating the book a 4.

The plot reminded me of Erin Brockovich with toxic wastes of a chemical company wreaking havoc on a small town in Mississippi. At the beginning of the novel, a jury delivers a large judgment for the plaintiff who has lost her husband and son to cancer caused by the tainted water in Bowmore. I found myself identifying with her attorneys, the very likeable Mary Grace and Wes Payton.

Now an appeal will be forthcoming and Carl Trudeau, owner of Krane Chemical, sets out to use his wealth and power to "buy a seat" on the Mississippi Supreme Court. The process was shocking but frighteningly believable. It makes one wonder how often such things happen in real life. A quote on the book jacket states, "Politics has always been a dirty game. Now justice is, too."

As I said, I didn't like the ending, but I can't say more without spoiling it for you. If you read it, I'd love to know your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment