Thursday, October 26, 2017

Camino Island by John Grisham

"When I came back from the East last autumn I felt that I wanted the world to be in uniform and at a sort of moral attention forever; I wanted no more riotous excursions with privileged glimpses into the human heart. Only Gatsby, the man who gives his name to this book, was exempt from my reaction - Gatsby, who represented everything for which I have an unaffected scorn."
             -Nick Carraway, from The Great Gatsby

I guess I chose this book for our Page Turners to read in October because I have long been a fan of John Grisham, our group has not read any of his work and Camino Island was on the Best Seller list for quite a while. I am rating it a 3; I liked it but didn't love it. It is not the usual legal thriller that has earned Grisham an elite reputation as a novelist---not a courtroom in the story although there are a few lawyers, rather obscure characters. I have really enjoyed many of those earlier works especially A Time to Kill (his first?) and The Client. Perhaps I just didn't find any really likeable characters and for that matter, no insightful quotes, thus the quote from Gatsby.

To begin this novel 5 thieves plan an elaborate heist of original manuscripts by F. Scott Fitzgerald which are securely stored in the Firestone Library at Princeton University. It was interesting that our book club read The Great Gatsby, one of the stolen works, a few years ago and most of us didn't like it. Rather ironic since in this story the original is greatly valued.

There are stories of the thieves, a book store owner who collects and deals in rare books and a young woman author with severe writer's block interwoven into an interesting plot. Bruce Cable is the owner of Bay Books---New and Rare on Camino Island. Mercer Mann is the author reluctantly recruited to work undercover for the company who has insured the Fitzgerald masterpieces to help recover them.

Camino Island has been a big part of Mercer's past as she spent a great deal of time with her late grandmother, Tessa. They had been lovingly involved with Turtle Watch. The references to sea turtle protection reminded me of another book I read recently, Beach Music by Pat Conroy.

I'm guessing that Camino Island is a fictionalized version of Amelia Island, Florida, since it is described as a small barrier strip just north of Jacksonville. As a Floridian, I enjoyed the references to familiar places. I am not sure how I feel about main character Bruce Cable having attended Auburn University, where I studied for two years and became a fan. I really didn't like Bruce much.

In teaching students to write I often advised them to write about things they know and are passionate about. I believe Grisham should go back to his courtroom drama!
----------------------------------
Page Turners met today and voted an average 3.9 for Camino Island, votes between 5 and 3.  Most agreed the plot made it a page-turner. It was interesting that some liked the characters even though they weren't examples of moral behavior, by any means. I was surprised that one member compared Bruce Cable to Gatsby in Fitzgerald's masterpiece. Even though I had chosen a quote from that classic which refers to Gatsby, I hadn't thought of any similarity to Cable.

Part of our discussion centered around the ending---some were satisfied while others thought it was too hastily "wrapped up." Most members have read other Grisham novels and a few agreed with me that this one was disappointing.








No comments:

Post a Comment