Wednesday, September 19, 2018

My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman

"Having a grandmother is like having an army. This is a grandchild's ultimate privilege: knowing that someone is on your side, always, whatever the details. Even when you are wrong. Especially then, in fact."                     -from the novel

I selected this book for our Page Turners because we had really enjoyed A Man Called Ove by this author and because I was intrigued with the title. I must admit if it had not been a book club selection I probably would not have gotten past the first few chapters.

Protagonist Elsa is a precocious almost-eight-year-old who is bullied at school. Her Granny is her number one fan and protector. Granny is outrageous and wacky but also wise and loving. (See quote above---as a grandmother myself, I totally get it!)

Granny has created a fantasy world for Elsa called the Land-of-Almost Awake where there are dragons, cloud animals, knights, snow-angels and other odd beings. I am not a big fan of fantasy and some of these references were confusing to me. When the neighbor known as the Monster and a creature called the wurse were added to the plot, I was pretty frustrated. What was real and what was fantasy? I forced myself to keep reading, fortunately; I must admit the ending was rather touching. My rating is 3.

Elsa is charged by Granny to deliver letters of apology to various family members and neighbors. (see title) As Elsa carries out the deliveries, she starts to understand more about each character. The theme of family relationships rings true.

The author's style is unusual but worked fairly well considering the story is from a child's perspective. I did enjoy the references to the Harry Potter series. Elsa is a big fan, as am I. Yes, I said I don't love fantasy, but Harry Potter is an exception to the rule!

--------

Page Turners met without me to discuss this one, as I was out of town. Their average rating was 3. From what I heard, a few people loved the book.


No comments:

Post a Comment