Friday, September 28, 2018

Vinegar Girl (The Taming of the Shrew Retold) by Anne Tyler

"In my country they have proverb: 'Beware against the sweet person, for sugar has no nutrition.'"
             -Pyotr, from the novel
"Well, in my country they say that you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."
             -Kate, from the novel
" But why you would want to catch flies, hah? Answer me that, vinegar girl."
             -Pyotr

This book was recommended to me and, at only 237 pages, it was a short and simple story. I enjoyed it on its own merits. A 4 is my rating.

Since I had no recollection of Shakespeare's play (see subtitle), I had to read a summary of it. I found very little to compare to Vinegar Girl, I must say. The Taming of the Shrew features ill-tempered Katherine while this novel stars Kate Battista, a strong-willed, out-spoken woman, an eldest daughter taking care of her eccentric scientist father. Her father, Louis who is on the verge of a breakthrough in his research, proposes Kate marry Pyotr, his valued assistant, whose visa is about to expire. Kate is reluctant, as is the bride in Taming... but the marriage does take place and the ending is pleasantly surprising. Would you expect the line "Kiss me, Kate"? You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment