Wednesday, November 20, 2019

My Name Is Eva by Suzanne Goldring

"Well, to tell the truth, I am wondering how I'll feel when I see his face for the first time, as my hatred for the man who caused your death has not declined one tiny bit. But I've decided I'm going to absolutely do the best job I possibly can and while I'm doing it, if I see any glimpse of a chink in his armour or find any opportunity to make him pay dearly for his dreadful errors of judgement, I will do so, just you wait and see."
                 -Eva, in a letter to deceased husband Hugh, 1945

I selected this book for my Amazon First Reads recently and it was a winner! The rating is a 5.

Protagonist Evelyn Taylor-Clarke, an elderly resident at Forest Lawns Care Home in England, is a loveable and memorable character. Her story begins in 2016 but then flashes back to WWII era and just after, through narratives and also multiple letters to her husband, like the quote above. Throughout, the reader learns of a promise made to her beloved Hugh and secrets she guards of her time working in post-War Germany.

Evelyn's niece, Pat, visits her at the retirement home and is charged with taking some care of the family estate, Kingsley. There she finds a photo and a passport with a strange name and questions her aunt about them. Evelyn, though very sharp mentally, pretends dementia to avoid revealing her true past. When she is questioned by law enforcement about a mysterious disappearance, deception is a game she seems to enjoy.

An engaging plot with themes of love, courage, strength, determination and revenge make this a true page-turner! I recommend it, especially to those who love historical fiction as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment