Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling

…"He couldn't know that at this very moment, people meeting in secret all over the country were holding up their glasses and saying in hushed voices: 'To Harry Potter---the boy who lived!'"
                 -from the first chapter of the novel

I must admit I read this juvenile fiction at the time I was teaching school, probably the late 1990's. It was released earlier in the UK as Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, the first in what would be a series of 7 books about the boy wonder. It immediately caused a stir. I am not one to be drawn to fantasy often but this series grabbed me up with its amazing creativity. Back in the day, I read all 7 books and saw all the films. Many, many adults became fans as well as kids; in fact, it got the attention of numerous reluctant readers. Right about now I needed a reading adventure and it was provided!

Harry Potter is the unlikely hero---small, skinny and nerdy-looking with round glasses taped together, unruly hair and oversized hand-me-down clothes. But who doesn't like to see an underdog overcome great obstacles and beat stronger opponents?  The overall theme of all the Harry Potter novels is good vs. evil and good always wins, although as the series progresses the plots become darker and some good guys die.

In my rereading of the novel, I thought at the beginning how similar Harry's first 10 years were to a few of Roald Dahl's characters, especially James of James and the Giant Peach---orphaned and forced to live with abusive relatives. This makes both stories more compelling as one is rooting for the poor child to "rise above his raisings."

Some of Rowling's inventions are so fascinating: the Remembral, an Invisibility Cloak, a Sorting Hat, the game of Quidditch, and the Mirror of Erised, in which one can see the deepest desire of their heart. (Erised is desire spelled backward.) I should not forget to mention the sorcerer's stone with its incredible powers which drives the plot, as someone is out to steal it. Add in some magical creatures like a huge 3-headed dog, dragons, unicorns and centaurs, and there is never a dull moment. The development of the friendship of Harry, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger is fun to follow. Hermione is one of my favorites because she is very smart and out-spoken. And one can hardly help but love Hagrid, the gentle giant.

I will rate Harry Potter #1 a 5. It was just what the doctor ordered after several intense reads!




No comments:

Post a Comment