Monday, May 11, 2020

Legacy of Lies by Robert Bailey

"Earlier this morning, my ex-husband, Butch, was found murdered at his home in Pulaski...I'm here because I need a lawyer....Because I'm going to be arrested for Butch's murder."
      -excerpts from conversation between Helen Lewis and Bo Haynes, from the novel

I'll admit I chose to read this novel after noting one of the settings is Huntsville, Alabama, the place my husband and I think of as our "hometown." We both spent our teenage years there, met and married there and still have 3 brothers between us who live there. It was a kick seeing references to places I was quite familiar with such as the Madison County Courthouse, the Von Braun Center and Maple Hill Cemetery. Also Huntsville High School, where my husband and I both graduated, Papou's Greek restaurant and Baskin Robbins off Airport Road, where we have eaten. 

The plot was fast-paced with short chapters, making for a true page-turner! District Attorney General Helen Lewis of Pulaski, TN, is charged with the murder of her ex-husband and somehow feels the only one who can represent her successfully is Bocephus "Bo" Haynes, living in Huntsville and seemingly depressed after the death of his wife and other past traumas. Reluctantly Bo takes on Helen's case in which the evidence against her is extremely overwhelming. 

The secondary plot has wealthy town VIP Michael Zannick being charged with the rape of an underaged girl and prosecuted by Attorney General Helen Lewis. Of course, that case is in limbo after "the General" is arrested but the two plots weave together as certain characters are involved in both.

The twists and turns in the story are difficult to predict. Around page 300 there is a real shocker and a couple of other BIG surprises by the end of the novel. I found it a very entertaining read and will likely look for another by this author. My rating is 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment